Saturday 8 December 2012

To share or not to share...

The question I have been pondering... do we share with the world that our baby is adopted? Do we share the details of our child's life story? I was pondering this and asked a friend, and she said... What brings God glory? Do that.

We feel strongly that embryo adoption does bring God glory. What I have learned going through this process, is that in the end, no matter what technology we apply, no matter what doctors do, life is still ultimately in the hands of God. Only He decides if an embryo in the womb will implant, and continue to grow and develop, and if that baby will be born into this world. Only God decides if that baby's heart beats or not. No matter what protocol is used, no matter the quality of the embryo given by an embryologist, only God is in control. Our first transfer, we were matched with 7 embryos. Sadly, 4 died on thawing, and 3 were transferred. I had the honor of being a home to them for 3 weeks, and then they went to heaven. This time, we were matched with 3 embryos, 1 did not survive the thaw, 2 were transferred and we lost one. Praise God, He has blessed us with one very healthy baby, who is growing strong. I am very aware of the fact that life is precious and amazing! When we see our baby moving and changing and growing on the ultrasound screen, it never ceases to amaze me that IT ACTUALLY WORKED! All the meds and scans and prep, and the transfer actually worked!!!! There really is a baby in there!
The second thing that has been solidified for me... biology means nothing. I knew that already, knowing how I feel about our Ethiopian born children. But I am again reminded, I forget that this baby isn't genetically related to us in any way. It doesn't matter. I feel exactly the same about this baby as I have about all my children. Embryo adoption is, in my opinion, remarkable. I remember reading about it in a book called Adopted for Life, but I never thought I would live it! I feel blessed to be this baby's mom!

So in the end, what did I decide? In my husband's words... we have nothing to hide, our life is an open book....

3 comments:

  1. Love it! So glad you chose to be "public" with it! It really does bring glory to God, just as I know this baby will too! God is so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! Every part of it! watched a horrible show that I told you about, people just choosing which gender they want and "discarding" the rest of these babies. I am a firm believer of baby at conception and so discarding these precious babies is so disturbing to me! You are inspiring to be an open book and I like you guys alot :) and I can't wait for that baby to come out!!!!!!!! on its due date lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandi - My husband and I had 3 embryo adoptions. Our 3rd attempt is the only one that resulted in a live birth...and we had boy/girl twins! Excited to follow your journey. :)

    ReplyDelete